Juan Pablo Montoya set a blistering pace today driving a Porsche 919 Hybrid in the inaugural Rookie Test of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).
Montoya, a star of Indycar and formerly of Formula One, registered a fastest lap time of 1:40.861 seconds around BIC’s 5.412-kilometre track.
He set his best time during the three-hour afternoon session in the desert.
Montoya topped the classification 1.273 seconds ahead of Richie Stanaway driving an Audi Sport Team Joest R-18 e-tron quattro.
Mike Conway in a Toyota TS040-Hybrid was third fastest 2.954secs behind. Anthony Davidson in another Toyota Hybrid finished fourth 6.375secs off the pace.
Ranked fifth and completing the five testers driving LMP1 teams was Rene Binder in a Team Bykolles CLM P1/01-AER.
Other testers (in order of driver, team name, car, best lap)
- Matthew Rao, Signatech Alpine, Alpine A450B-Nissan, 1:52.026
- Julian Leal Covelli, AF Racing, BRO1-Nissan
- Tio Ellinas, Strakka Racing, Gibson 015S Nissan
LMGTE Pro class
- Nick Catsburg, Porsche Team Manthey, Porsche 911 RSR, 2:01.240
- David Heinemeier Hansson, Porsche Team Manthey, Porsche 911 RSR
- Darren Turner, Aston Martin Racing, Vantage V8
- Shaikh Salman bin Rashid Al Khalifa, Aston Martin Racing, Vantage V8
LMGTE Am class
- Devon Modell, Aston Martin Racing, Vantage V8, 2:02.148
— Bahrain Int. Circuit (@BAH_Int_Circuit) November 23, 2015