Six Bahrainis have been crowned champions in the recently concluded Bahrain Drag Racing Championship.
The 2015/2016 season came to a thrilling end with the fifth and final round held over the past weekend at Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) in Sakhir.
The winners in all 14 competition categories were determined at the finale, with six being among the Kingdom’s best home-grown talent.
The new champions included Adel Hassan in the Street 4 and 6 category, Mohammed Mubarak in the Outlaw Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD), Hammed Al Murbati in the Super Street 6-Cylinder, Salah Salahuddin in the Street V8, Khaled Mohammed in the Super Street V8 and Raed Batti in the Index 10.5 class.
- Outlaw 10.5: Abdulla Alsory (KUW)
- Pro Mod: Bader Korshaid (KUW)
- Street Bike: Masfer Al Masfer (KUW)
- Pro Bike: Mashal Al Saber (KUW)
- Competition 4.5: Moslem Algallaf (KSA)
- Super Street Bike: Mashari Al Turki (KSA)
- Index Bike 9.50: Abdulla Al Munif (KSA)
- Outlaw 6-Cylinder: Garry White (USA)
Each of the newly crowned champions were honoured in an end-of-season closing and awarding ceremony held Saturday night at BIC. They also received their respective “Wally” trophies.
A “Wally” is given only to champions of National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)-sanctioned events. BIC’s world-class drag strip is a member of the NHRA Worldwide Network, and thus the national championship is held under the NHRA banner. Only a handful of champions in NHRA events, mostly held in the US, earn the right to take home a “Wally”.
BIC Chief Executive Shaikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa was on hand to give away the prizes, as were Bahrain Drag Racing Club President Fahad Taqi and Bahrain Motorcycle Club President Isa Al Awadhi.
Meanwhile, there was plenty of high-octane action in the season’s final meeting.
Round 5 Winners
- Street 4 and 6: Mohamed Aljalhma
- Super Street 6-Cylinder: Hammed Al Murbati
- Street V8: Salah Salahuddin
- Super Street V8: Talal Othman
- Outlaw FWD: Zakaria Ahmed
- Outlaw 10.5: Abdulla Alsory
- Outlaw 6-Cylinder: Garry White
- Competition 4.5: Jaber Almagrabi
- Pro Mod: Mustafa Al Atat in the Pro Mod
- Index 10.5: Ebrahim Khalil
- Street Bike: Masfer Al Masfer
- Super Street Bike: Masfer Al Masfer
- Pro Bike: Mashal Al Saber
- Index 9.50: Abdulla Al Munif
The season’s final round was organised by BIC in cooperation with the BDRC and the Bahrain Motor Federation.